About this blog

My great Aunt Laura kept a scrapbook during her years of service in the USO. The scrapbook is falling apart and I've decided that the best way to perserve it is to scan the book item by item and post the images here. I'll most likely destroy the scrapbook in the process, but at least the images will live on.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fine entertainment & Grand times


"Dear Laura:
Knew this note would delight you so am sending it on to you - It is nice to be thought of so many months after you have been apart - lots of the boys send you greetings and write of you - Gordon Sbarboro, among those recently. I have sent him your address, so expect a letter - will also put down your address in the NUSO, which doesn't always reach the ones who most desire it -

Know things are getting along fine there, often Bernie came in to report. 
    
               Love and luck, Connie."


Wow, I get the feeling that Connie struggles on the typewriter a little bit. She finally finds the period at the very end of the letter. 

And the letter she forwarded?

Check it out right here - 


6th January
Philippines

Dear Madam
I would greatly appreciate it if you could supply me with the present address  of Miss Laura Elizabeth Owens, former Senior Hostess at the Rockingham USO. I understand she was transferred elsewhere shortly after the A/B Division left the states. 

I can safely sat there are a great many of us here in the Division who still remember the fine entertainment & grand times we had at your USO. They are indeed pleasant memories on dark nights in the jungles here.-

Sincerely, 
Cpl. Wm. Proctor
APO 468 % Pm Frisco





No comments:

Post a Comment