About this blog

My great Aunt Laura kept a scrapbook during her years of service in the USO. The scrapbook is falling apart and I've decided that the best way to perserve it is to scan the book item by item and post the images here. I'll most likely destroy the scrapbook in the process, but at least the images will live on.

Monday, February 18, 2013

My Great Aunt Laura, her backstory

It may seem odd to start with her obituary and epitaph but here we go -

I found this loose in the front of her scrapbook. 
Mentioned in this article, Mrs. Ruby Owens, my grandmother.


(from the Charlotte Observer date unknown)

 I found this article loose in the beginning of her scrapbook.
Mentioned in this article, Rev. Bruce Owens, my great grandfather. 

My great aunt Laura was a public school teacher and is credited with starting the Charlotte Children's Nature Museum. Interesting that both articles fail to mention her service in the USO which will be the focus of this blog. I wish I knew her better but we lived far apart and rarely had the chance for interaction. I'm going to enjoy getting to know her through this scrapbook though,  and I hope you will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment